Sunday, May 8, 2011

Gift Giving

I don't have any pictures to support the random thoughts that will be included in this post. I have just been thinking a lot lately about gifts and gift giving.
Without a doubt my girls are VERY lucky. They have A LOT. They are lucky enough to be surrounded by lots of family who dote on them and also enjoy giving them gifts. They definitely don't "want" for much, if anything. (If you could see the playroom right now, you would totally understand!)

I had a conversation recently with some moms from the preschool about children birthday parties. We have not chosen to have the "pleasure" of hosting a kid party yet. Helaina just turned 4. We figure we have plenty of time for this, right? One mom made the statement that if a person brings a gift to her child's party then it will donated to a worthy cause. I have also heard other parties where the guests are asked to bring a charitable donation to a particular institution chosen by the child. I totally understand this idea. In this world of "over do" it makes perfect sense to teach your child not to be selfish when it comes to gifts. But, I have to wonder... If we don't allow our children to receive gifts from friends (small) when do we have the opportunity to teach them how to accept a gift graciously? For example, recently, my nephew had a very nice friend birthday party where he received a gift from a very sweet little girl. It was not what you might think of as typical for a little boy. Littlest Pet Shop! He really wasn't too thrilled with it but what a great opportunity for his mom to teach about being gracious when receiving a gift! When I give gifts to my girls I pretty much know what they want. I should, I spend a lot of time with them and they are pretty much clear on what they like! But, other people don't always know what they might like so learning to be gracious, no matter what the gift, seems very important to me.
I love buying gifts for other people! I love to spend time thinking about what I think will be "just right" for that one person. I want my girls to know how that feels too! Charitable donations are wonderful and should never be overlooked but bringing joy to a friend is also a good thing.... isn't it?
By taking my girls shopping for a birthday present for an actual peer I feel like I am able to teach them the value of gift giving ,of thinking of others, getting something for someone that you might actually want for yourself but choose to give it away instead.
Yes, my girls are involved in gift giving when it comes to their dad, and me and their grandparents but I don't think it really sinks in quite so far until they are looking at gifts that they would like to own! ( I don't think they really care too much to own a new knick knack)

I hope my girls grow up with these qualities instilled them. Being gracious and enjoying gift giving is huge for me. So, for those of you who don't want gifts at your child's party or are doing a charitable donation, I will of course honor that teaching. But this Mama is also always looking for ways to teach the joy of gift giving and graciously receiving gifts!


So, there it is... my random thought for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment